STRIVE started by getting local families to exercise together and saw the positive interaction when the youths were encouraged to stay active. Later STRIVE self-funded the first Splash N Dash Camp replete with dedicated volunteers willing to help train a small group of youth participants. After establishing a great sense of accomplishment from enabling local kids from Prince George's County to learn how to swim, the Splash N Dash Camps are now a necessity for STRIVE to fully uplift those residing in under served communities.
The 2018 STRIVE Splash N Dash Camp is supported through a Local Development Council Local Community Impact Grant for youth in Oxon Hill/Glassmanor neighborhood in Prince George's County, MD. This grant will solely be delivered to the youth attending camp in the Park Forest Apartments between the ages of 7-17 for 6 weeks. These participants will receive the following:
- USA Triathlon Annual Membership
- Camp Apparel (Shirt/Bag/Goggles/Swim Suit)
- Professional Coaching 3x/week (90 mins)
- Daily activities include 30mins of run/dry land training & 60mins of aquatics training
- Metric gathering for reporting on measurable effectiveness
- Instruction on healthy nutritional choices